|Published||22nd September 2016|
|Author||WHO , UNDP|
This sectoral brief is tailored specifically to ministries of education. It expands upon the following key points regarding what this sector needs to know about NCDs:
- Addressing noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) and their risk factors supports the educational development of children.
- Children and adolescents are being increasingly exposed to tobacco, alcohol, unhealthy diet and physical inactivity. Life-long health behaviours are shaped during childhood and adolescence.
- The education sector has a fundamental responsibility to protect children’s health and well-being.
- Support of educators and peers is essential.
- Empowered children and youth can encourage healthy families and healthy communities.