|Published||22nd September 2016|
|Author||WHO , UNDP|
This sectoral brief is tailored specifically to ministries of labour and employment. It expands upon the following key points regarding what this sector needs to know about NCDs:
- Noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) decrease the labour force, reduce productivity and reduce economic growth.
- Preventing NCDs makes economic sense.
- Tackling NCDs will not hurt businesses or lead to overall job loss – quite the opposite.
- Ministries of labour and employment must recognize that the right to health is a fundamental responsibility of government and work with employers and other partners to tackle NCDs.
- Ministries of labour and employment have specific responsibilities when it comes to tobacco production.